Security team successfully cracks SSL using 200 PS3's and MD5

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 6 06:10:47 UTC 2009

In message <4962E096.7070409 at karnaugh.za.net>, Colin Alston writes:
> On 2009/01/05 10:47 PM Randy Bush wrote:
> > perhaps i am a bit slow.  but could someone explain to me how trust in
> > dns data transfers to trust in an http partner and other uses to which
> > ssl is put?
>
> I must also be slow. Can someone tell me how DNSSEC is supposed to
> encrypt my TCP/IP traffic?

	DNSSEC allows you to go from dns name -> CERT in a secure
	manner.   The application then checks that the cert used to
	establish the ssl session is one from the CERT RRset.

	Basically when you pay your $70 or whatever for the CERT
	record you are asking the CA to assert that you have the
	right to use the domain name.  It's expensive because they
	are not part of existing DNS trust relationship setup when
	the domain was delegated in the first place.

	The natural place to look for DNS trust is in the DNS.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org