Ethical DDoS drone network

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Jan 6 00:45:40 UTC 2009

Roland Dobbins wrote:
> In my experience, once one has an understanding of the performance
> envelopes and has built a lab which contains examples of the functional
> elements of the system (network infrastructure, servers, apps,
> databases, clients, et. al.), one can extrapolate pretty accurately well
> out to orders of magnitude.
>

> The problem is that many organizations don't do the above prior to
> freezing the design and initiating deployment.

Sadly, I think money and time have a lot to do with this. Technology is
a moving target, and everyone is constantly struggling to keep up while
maintaining performance/security.

I've seen this out of software developers, too. I'd say I've seen more
outages due to a simple command typed into a router cli crashing the
router than DDoS traffic. Perhaps I've been lucky with the latter.

Jack