Ethical DDoS drone network

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 23:23:39 UTC 2009

In my opinion, the real thing you can puzzle out of this kind of testing is the occasional hidden dependency.  I've seen ultra-robust servers fail because a performance monitoring application living on them was timing out in a remote query, and I've also seen devices fail well below their expected load because they were using multiple layers of encapsulation (IP over MPLS over IP over Ethernet over MPLS over Frame-Relay ...) and one of the hidden middle-layers was badly optimized.

The advantage of performing this DDoS-style load testing on yourself is that *you can turn it off once you experience the failure* and then go figure out why it broke when it did.  This is a lot more pleasant than trying to figure it out at 2:30 in the morning with insufficient coffee.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com