Leap second tonight

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Mon Jan 5 17:21:22 UTC 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> This begs the question - how the heck do timekeepers and politicians
> get
> away with last minute time changes?
>
> Surely there's -some- pushback from technology related interest
> groups to
> try and get more than four weeks warning? :)

Having been involved in the leap second business, I can tell you that
Daniel
Gambis strictly follows the rules, which are
Bulletin C is mailed every six months, either to announce a time step
in UTC or to confirm that there will be no time step at the next
possible date.
If you want more lead time warning, pay attention to the LOD graph in

http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/

The long term LOD offset is about 1 msec now. That means that every
day, Earth time and atomic time will drift off by 1 msec. Since there
are 1000 msec in the second, and since the rule is that a leap second
is chosen when the difference (UT1−UTC) approaches 0.9 seconds,
projected
out to the next period, and since the strong preference is to have
leap seconds in January, you can generally figure out what will happen
before
Daniel announces it.

For example, in one year the offset should be ~ 400 msec, so I will
informally predict another leap second in January, 2011, not 2010.
Keep watching that graph.

Anyone who is dealing with Leap Second code should keep in mind that
negative leap seconds (i.e., no second # 59, instead of an extra
second called
60) are a distinct possibility. It all depends on the "weather" at the
core mantle boundary - note that the LOD offset was almost 3 msec not
too long ago.

Regards
Marshall