Ethical DDoS drone network

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jan 5 06:08:24 UTC 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 9:18 PM, deleskie at gmail.com wrote:

> Super risky.  This would be a 99% legal worry plus.  Unless all the
> end points and networks they cross sign off on it the risk is beyond
> huge.

Since when do I need permission of "networks they cross" to send data
from a machine I (legitimately) own to another machine I own?  If this
were an FTP or other data transfer, would I have any legal issues?
And if not, how is that different from load testing using a random
protocol?

Before anyone jumps up & down, I know that all networks reserve the
right to filter, use TE, or otherwise alter traffic passing over their
infrastructure to avoid damage to the whole.  But if I want to (for
instance) stream a few 100 Gbps and am paying transit for all bits
sent or received, since when do I have any legal worries?

You want to 'attack' yourself, I do not see any problems.  And I see
lots of possible benefits.  Hell, just figuring out which intermediate
networks cannot handle the added load is useful information.

--
TTFN,
patrick