Looking for verification that Google and Akamai have the geo-ip for 96.31.0.0/20 set correctly

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Sat Jan 3 16:59:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Chris Hills <chaz at chaz6.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/09 07:31, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>> Overall, geo location has turned out to be a somewhat valuable tool in
>> terms
>> of language, fraud, and localization. I think that it's important to
>> continue to urge improvements in this technology, not divestment.
>>

> Is it really that difficult to check the Accept-Language header for
> determining the language to use? This is particularly useful in countries
> that either have no official language, countries that have more than one
> official language, and tourists.

What's the accuracy rate? Combined, it is probably higher for that specific
use case. I digress, ask your favorite search engine. Perhaps they'll
explain. It is certainly interesting.

[I think that] Over the last year we're seeing an uptick in geo-location
problems addressed on NANOG because it's becoming profitable  (whether
through ads or fraud correlation through ip reputation) and it's probably
not going away.

Personally, I'd be happier with the publicly available checker. *shrug*

YMMV and Best,

-M<

Martin Hannigan                               martin at theicelandguy.com
p: +16178216079