Looking for verification that Google and Akamai have the geo-ip for 96.31.0.0/20 set correctly

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Sat Jan 3 06:31:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Neil <kngspook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or maybe they just shouldn't rely on it so much.
>
> It annoys me at the hoops I have to jump through to change the
> language on Google-owned properties when they think I'm coming from
> Czechoslovakia or Malaysia or some such...  Some, like Blogger, still
> don't do it right...

[ clip ]

> > http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/products/personalization.html

Like what? I have found that interacting with your favorite search engine is
generally easy and interactive as long as you know where to look. I think
that's really the problem at hand, the interaction and where you actually do
it.

Overall, geo location has turned out to be a somewhat valuable tool in terms
of language, fraud, and localization. I think that it's important to
continue to urge improvements in this technology, not divestment.

NoSoObOp: Renesys ought to be playing in this space. :-)

Best,

Martin

Martin Hannigan                               martin at theicelandguy.com
p: +16178216079