Looking for verification that Google and Akamai have the geo-ip for 96.31.0.0/20 set correctly

Neil kngspook at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 23:30:47 UTC 2009

Or maybe they just shouldn't rely on it so much.

It annoys me at the hoops I have to jump through to change the
language on Google-owned properties when they think I'm coming from
Czechoslovakia or Malaysia or some such...  Some, like Blogger, still
don't do it right...

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:
> Funny this should come up...
>
> I've found that a local Mobile Broadband outfit here in NZ are using an IP
> range that Akamai's Geolocation service thinks is actually in New Jersey.
> Causes me some oddness as a result - this despite the fact that Maxmind has
> it correct.
> Whilst investigating this (just the day before yesterday) the following URL
> came to my attention - allows you to check the IP you're on against Akamai's
> Edgescape product:
>
> http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/products/personalization.html
>
> Their customer care team were responsive to an email I sent them (but were
> unwilling to make changes without the request coming through their
> customer... which in itself seems mad, their info is wrong - why don't they
> correct it?)
>
> Geolocation is clever, but seems to be  very retrospective, and very much an
> imperfect science... there should be some obligation on people offering the
> service to work very hard to keep their data current, given the effect it
> can have on an end user.
>
> Mark.
>
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>> Maxmind www.maxmind.com is a fairly good indicator of what geo-locators
>> are
>> seeing, but I recall a recent thread here that there have been
>> disagreements
>> between the various geolocation services.
>>
>> I think that some of it depends on the reference sources i.e. how many and
>> what the algorithms are and also the update frequency. Using plain old
>> whois
>> data, for example, is notoriously unreliable, but definitely "usable" as a
>> reference.
>>
>> Might be nice if search engines and cdn's had a verification site for
>> checking and suggesting corrections i.e.
>> www.favoritesearchengine.com/ipverifiy
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Frank Bulk - iName.com
>> <frnkblk at iname.com>wrote:
>>
>>> We were assigned a new block from ARIN two weeks ago and are getting
>>> several
>>> reports from end users that the Spanish and German versions of Google's
>>> search page are coming up.
>>>
>>> IP2Location and Maxmind are mostly correct, but there appears to be no
>>> way
>>> for me to verify that Google and Akamai have 96.31.0.0/20 listed