Leap second tonight

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jan 2 02:12:32 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Steven Saner <ssaner at hubris.net> said:
> I run a bunch of Slackware Linux boxes of varying versions. As best as I
> can tell, at or around 00:00 UTC all of my Slackware 12.0 boxes crashed
> with a kernel panic. I don't think it is ntpd because it is the same
> version as on 12.1 boxes (4.2.4p0) that did not crash. It may be the
> kernel: 2.6.21.5
>
> Anyone else experience similar or was this coincidental and I have other
> issues...

I had one (out of many, including about a half dozen identically
configured) Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 systems hang at the leap second.

There have been some messages on the NTP list referencing posts on a
Debian list about leap second crashes, and there's a post on /. about a
similar problem with Fedora 8.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>