Yahoo and their mail filters..

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:44:13 UTC 2009

Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>
>> Christ .. Yahoo did say "complaints".  And it can take a very low
>> level of complaints before a block goes into place - especially for
>> low volume (corporate etc) mailservers.
>>

> I don't think this is Yahoo reacting to spam complaints because a large
> number of sites (many universities, for instance) are being affected by
> this problem at the same time.

Universities are often major sources of spam.  Spam is sent directly
from virus-infected student computers, and spam is also sent to students
at their university email address and then .forwarded on to the
student's outside (or post-university) email account - when the student
receives forwarded spam at their Yahoo account and clicks "this is spam"
the university is considered the "source" of the spam.

jc