Comcast - No complaints! [was: Re: Craptastic Service!

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:26:24 UTC 2009

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Paul M. Moriarty wrote:
>
>> Oh, and you might want to read those SLA's you get from AT&T or any
>> other carrier.  Typically, all they give you for not meeting the SLA is
>> "credits" and you typically have to ask for them, in writing within 30
>> days to actually get them.
>>

> If I give someone money to do something, and they fail to meet the
> contracted metrics, what else can they give me except money back?

They can pay a penalty.  Simply giving you your money back may not make
you whole.  Many businesses could make out like a bandit if they don't
have to pay a penalty when they don't perform, but just give you your
money back.  In some lines of business (e.g. residential rental housing)
we have laws to protect buyers (renters) that stipulate penalties when
sellers (landlords) don't provide the services (livable housing)
required by law, in addition to refund of the fee (rent) paid for the
services.

Giving you your money back when you didn't get the goods isn't really
providing an SLA, it's simply not defrauding the customer.

jc