Followup: anyone else seeing very long AS paths?

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Fri Feb 20 20:55:35 UTC 2009

I know this is getting boring, but I don't want to see information lying
around hinting that the ISPs around the world were to blame for the Monday
incident due to their sloppy software upgrade policies. That's not the case;
a lot of very recent IOS releases were affected.

There was lots of conflicting information flowing around. Rodney did an
excellent job with the bug description, but I was still wondering what
exactly was going on, so I've tested all potential combinations of
inbound/outbound IBGP/EBGP prepending/no-prepending cases to identify
exactly what can happen; you should be able to figure out which one affected
your network:

http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/02/oversized-as-paths-cisco-ios-bug.html

And it should be reiterated that anyone that has already configured bgp
maxas-limit has avoided this problem.

Ivan