IPv6 Confusion

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Feb 20 20:55:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009, Bob Snyder wrote:
> Frank Bulk wrote:
> >Considering that the only real IPv6-ready CPE at your favorite N.A.
> >electronics store is Apple's AirPort, it seems to me that it will be
> >several years before the majority (50% plus 1) of our respective customer
> >bases has IPv6-ready or dual-stack equipment.
>
> Actually, out of the box my newish Linksys WRT610N started sending RAs
> and provides IPv6 connectivity via 6to4. Came as a bit of a surprise
> when it stole traffic away from my existing IPv6 tunnel. Couple of
> problems, though:
>
> 1) No switch to turn it off
> 2) No firewalling/filtering is done.
>
> This makes it somewhat less than ideal, and worse than the original
> Apple Airport default configuration which at least had clear and obvious
> knobs to make it do the right thing even if they had a poor default setting.

Would you be willing to update the ARIN ipv6 info wiki page for this?

http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Broadband_CPE

Whoever looks after this - would you please consider setting up some kind
of feature/bug matrix that tries to capture a bit of how "good" these things
are? Just saying "Yup, supports IPv6" with no idea of how well, which bits
work/don't, stuff like lacking firewalling (as above) would be good to know.

Thanks!

Adrian
(Using a Cisco 827, speaks IPv6 real good..)