Lots of prepends - AS20912 case

Andree Toonk andree+nanog at toonk.nl
Fri Feb 20 18:42:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

.-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Giuliano Peritore wrote:
>         I think that the case of AS47868 is the same, because I seed the
> modulo was involved too.

For those interested, I made an overview of longest AS paths observed per day, starting with February 1st.

I added a feature that checks if number of prepends matches the low-order 8 bits of the offending AS number.
Indicating that it's likely caused by the same Mikrotik bug/feature.

The list can be found here:
http://bgpmon.net/maxASpath.php

Interesting is that the first time this was observed was actually on February
9th (251 prepends by AS45307). Apparently the impact was not as widespread as
this week.

Cheers,
 Andree