Lots of prepends - AS20912 case

Ivan Pepelnjak ivan.pepelnjak at zaplana.net
Fri Feb 20 15:35:31 UTC 2009

>From the end-user perspective, it makes sense to make the "prepend"
parameter an integer. The only thing an end-user really needs is routing
policy (primary/backup selection) and sometimes AS path prepending is the
only solution. Allowing them to insert third-party AS numbers into the AS
path increases their confusion (assuming they were never exposed to Cisco
IOS). Obviously, the number of prepends has to be limited to something
sensible (10 seems a good number, and it looks like Mikrotik has implemented
that restriction).

The "set as-path prepend last-as" is a completely different story; it's used
to do proxy prepending for your customers.

Ivan Pepelnjak
http://blog.ioshints.info