IPv6 Confusion

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Feb 19 00:50:55 UTC 2009

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> Well, considering how very few vendors actually support IPv6, it's hard
> to find proper competition. Even the companies who do support IPv6 very
> well in some products, not all their BUs do on their own products (you
> know who you are :P ).

Even worse is when the BU charges an insane price ($40k for 20 GigE
ports for example) for a license to give a piece of their equipment IPv6
capabilities.  I'm looking at you ES20 linecards.  Adoption of IPv6
would be better in my opinion if vendors didn't force us to pay a
premium to use IPv6.  It's hard enough to convince management that there
is a need to implement IPv6.  It's even harder when you tell them how
much it costs.  And when they ask what they're getting for their
dollars, they are none to pleased to hear that the bulk of it is going
to a damn license.

Justin