IPv6 Confusion

Aria Stewart aredridel at nbtsc.org
Thu Feb 19 00:03:27 UTC 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> Try that with an IPv6 router.  About 10 ms after you plug into the
> wrong
> port out goes an RA, the entire subnet ceases to function, and your
> phone lights up like a christmas tree.
>
> Let me repeat, none of these solutions are secure.  The IPv4/DHCP
> model
> is ROBUST, the RA/DHCPv6 model is NOT.

Depends -- the DHCP model also ceases to work, and some time later,
when there's no cause and effect.

When I've added a misconfigured router to my IPv6 network, I added a
few prefixes, but since it never worked, it never got used.
Multihoming and good address selection seems to be a real win there.

Good router authentication would be a nice thing to have in both
cases, though.

Aria Stewart
aredridel at nbtsc.org