IPv6 Confusion

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Feb 18 21:29:27 UTC 2009

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Is there something like RA filtering on switches yet, so end users can
> be filtered? Just like the dhcp stuff thats available on most switches
> nowdays... ?
>
> Its as annoying as fake DHCP servers...

Per customer VLAN isolation (common to solve DHCP server issues). You
can also perform *some* filtering today for multicast addresses, but not
the specific packets themselves from what I've seen. This is a big
implementation change. I've had lengthy discussions with the DSLAM
vendors who said, "VLANs are stupid and as bad as PVCs," about their
ability to filter RAs and DHCPv6.

-Jack