IPv6 Confusion

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Wed Feb 18 20:23:59 UTC 2009

On 19/02/2009, at 9:08 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:

>> What operational reasons are there for working with RA turned off?
>
> I don't want any system to be able to get IPv6 addressing information
> until the system has been identified in our central management system.
> I also want the IPv6 address assignment to be made centrally.

You must have missed my post asking people to be clear in their
distinction between RA and SLAAC.

I will re-cap:
- RA does NOT give your host IPv6 addressing information.
- SLAAC gives your host IPv6 addressing information. SLAAC data is
carried in RA messages, as an OPTION.
- Another RA OPTION is "use DHCPv6 to get addressing information".

DHCPv6 can operate without RA now. You can send DHCPv6 requests to
your local LAN before you get an RA message telling you to do so. This
requires you to manually configure your host to do that. That sounds
like a waste of time, when you can use RA messages to tell your hosts
to use DHCPv6 to get addressing information. Of course, you DHCPv6
does not currently have an option for default router, so your need RA
for that. Again, RA is not giving out addressing information, only
"Hi, I am a router".

I suspect this removes the desire for getting "VRRP" without RA as
well for those of you wanting to use DHCPv6 for addressing - RA is not
giving out addressing information, and is only giving out "Use DHCPv6"
bits and a router address.

--
Nathan Ward