IPv6 Confusion

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 18 20:10:57 UTC 2009

> > Just how DO we get the message to the IETF that we need all the tools we
> > have in v4 (DHCP, VRRP, etc) to work with RA turned off?
>
> You don't, because there isn't really a technical reason for turning off
> RA.

I'm glad to see that several of the big vendors seem to disagree with
you.

- Cisco does RA as soon as an interface has an IPv6 address, but has a
knob to disable RA (ipv6 nd ra suppress).

- Juniper does *not* do RA as soon as an interface has an IPv6 address,
it must be explicitly configured.

So we are part way there - IPv6 can be used without RA. We just need
DHCPv6 to work properly without RA.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no