IPv6 Confusion

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Feb 18 18:19:51 UTC 2009

> From: David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org>
> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:57:12 -1000
>
> Mikael,
>
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 9:18 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> >> Suggestion: next time you buy equipment from competing vendors,
> >> tell the sales folk from the losing vendors that one deciding
> >> factor was (vendor or product) IPv6 support. That (and perhaps only
> >> that) will get their attention... :-)
> > Well, considering how very few vendors actually support IPv6, it's
> > hard to find proper competition.
>
> You don't have to tell the truth to the losing sales folk... :-)

Yes, I saw the smiley, but what you suggested could cause a lot of
suffering if it is a formal bid. (If a mom-n-pop buys a 2960, probably
not an issue.)

Ethical issues aside, giving incorrect information to a losing vendor
is fraud and, at least in the public sector, can get you in more trouble
than you would ever want to think about being in.

Our procurement officers are scrupulous in detailing the required
information for the losing bidder's debrief on contracts of any
size. This means putting in just as much information as is required and
nothing more and making sure that what is included is correct.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)