IPv6 Confusion

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Feb 18 14:23:34 UTC 2009

Nathan Ward wrote:
> Sort of - except it is only for IPv6 "clients" to connect to named IPv4
> "servers". NAT-PT allowed for the opposite direction, IPv4 "clients"
> connecting to IPv6 "servers" - NAT64 does not.

Which is a serious mistake in my opinion. Corporate world will not or
can not shift out of IPv4 for many years. They will use firewalls to
handle conversions (4 inside, 6 outside). The legacy software that runs
within corporations always astounds me, but it is what it is. I honestly
doubt that a single vendor out there cares one lick about the IETF, and
they will provide whatever their customers demand; or lose the customer.

-Jack