IPv6 Confusion

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Wed Feb 18 14:05:19 UTC 2009

> It's a 128 bit address.  Routing is done on VLSM, but, generally for DNS
> purposes, these
> are expected to be at least on nibble boundaries.
>
> There is an intent to support what is known as EUI-64, which means every
> subnet should
> be a /64, however, there are people who number smaller subnets and that
> is supposed
> to work, but, it will break certain IPv6 things like stateless
> autoconfiguration (which is
> optional).

We are one of these people who opted to use smaller subnet sizes
for point-to-point networks (i.e router transfer nets),
If you are interested in what we did and want to see some examples of
what other people are doing check out a presentation that I gave some
time ago about our deployment

http://www.convergence.cx/ipv6clara.ppt
(apologies for the lack of PDF)

Slides 2-15