IPv6 Confusion

Steven Lisson stevel at dedicatedservers.net.au
Wed Feb 18 02:04:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

I find it a shame that NAT-PT has become depreciated, with people
talking about carrier grade NATS I think combining these with NAT-PT
could help with the transition after we run out of IPv4 space.

ISP gets a chunk of IPv6 address space, sets up customers with it, gets
their big lovely carrier grade NAT device that NAT's from customers IPv6
address to whatever IPv4 service they need.

I'm probably missing something but does this not seem like a good
option? Why not use IPv6 instead of private IPv4, end user gets
end-to-end connectivity with anything that is IPv6 enabled while still
being able to access the legacy IPv4 network.

Also see it of long term benefit to ISP's as will first have to get big
expensive equipment for CGN, but over time they won't have the big
expensive of continuously upgrading these units as IPv4 dwindles

Just my 2c

Steve