anyone else seeing very long AS paths?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Feb 17 20:11:57 UTC 2009

Ivan,

It is confusing but from what I have tested you have it correct.

The confusing part comes from multiple issues.

a) The documentation about the default maxas limit being 75 appears to be
   incorrect. I'll get that fixed.

b) Prior to CSCee30718 there was a hard limit of 255. After that fix
   AS sets of more than 255 should work.

c) CSCeh13489 implemented the maxas command to mark it as invalid and
   not send.

There does appear to be an issue when you cross the 255 boundary
and the next hop router sends a notification back.

I've got it recreated in the lab and we are working to clearly understand
why that is. I'll post an update once we have more.

The way to prevent it is the upstream device that crosses the 255 boundary
on sending needs to use the maxas limit command to keep it less than 255.

It doesn't work on the device that receives the update with the AS path
larger than 255.

Rodney