anyone else seeing very long AS paths?

German Martinez gmartine at ajax.opentransit.net
Tue Feb 17 18:54:34 UTC 2009

On Tue Feb 17, 2009, Michael Ulitskiy wrote:

Hello,
CSCee30718 – it removes the default value of bgp max-as from the router.

The solution is introduced in CSCeh13489

BGP shouldn't propogate an update w excessive AS Path > 255
Symptoms: A router may reset its Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) session.

Conditions: This symptom is observed when a Cisco router that peers with
other routers receives an Autonomous System (AS) path with a length that is
equal to or greater than 255.

Workaround: Configure the bgp maxas limit command in such
as way that the maximum length of the AS path is a value below 255. When the
router receives an update with an excessive AS path value, the prefix is
rejected and recorded the event in the log.

This workaround has been suggested previously by Hank.

Anyone knows about any possible CPU impacts in case that you implement
bgp maxas?

Thanks
German