IPv6 Confusion

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Feb 17 18:32:26 UTC 2009

Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> If you are interested about the addressing architecture only, have a
> look at RFC 4291: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4291
>
> If you want to have some allocation guidelines from experiences, have a
> look at these slides:
> http://www.6deploy.org/tutorials/030-6deploy_ipv6_addressing_v0_2.pdf
> http://www.6deploy.org/tutorials/031-IPv6_addr_case_RENATER_Hungarnet_v0_1.pdf
>
> http://www.6deploy.org/tutorials/131_Campus_IPv6_deployment_consideration_v0_3.pdf

Just to add to this, beware the vendor documentation. In particular, I
noticed many "examples" posted by vendors that used all kinds of
notations. Cisco, for example, formally uses /64 in current
documentation but still has a ton of old docs which use /112 or other
similar boundaries. Since searches don't always turn up "most current",
you may find obsolete documentation.

-Jack