IPv6 Confusion

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Feb 17 18:04:26 UTC 2009

You already have a fair bit of information, but the short answer to
your question is...

Apart from a few special purposes addresses (see RFC 4291), IPv6
addresses are a cross between IPv4-style CIDR addressing and XNS/IPX/
ISO-style network+host addressing. Bits 0..63 of the address are a
CIDR prefix; there are various guidelines on what prefix lengths
should be allocated in various cases, but they are just that -
unenforceable and mutable. Bits 64..127 are a host part, which may be
a MAC Address, a random number, or pretty much anything else. The key
thing is that the host part is unique on a LAN.

There are probably four important prefix lengths in the world -
prefixes that might have special meaning, prefixes that get allocated
by IANA, prefixes that get allocated by RIRs, and prefixes that get
allocated to customers of ISPs. In general, IANA is treating IPv6 much
like IPv4 - making sure that the RIRs have enough to work with. The
RIRs are also treating IPv6 much like IPv4, with the exception that
the rules require a lot less hoop-jumping. If folks need prefixes,
they hand them out. The one difference is that they are trying to
avoid PI addressing, as that is one of the major contributors to the
current explosion of the route table (the others being "long prefixes"
and "traffic engineering"). What to replace PI addressing with is a
topic of ongoing discussion - various ideas have been proposed but all
require some change to some business model or sacred cow somewhere,
meaning that any idea that is viable gets dismissed pretty rapidly,
something the folks who buy memory for routers will eventually pay the
price of unless that nonsense passes. Edge networks are edge networks;
they tend to assign subnets, or campuses with subnets in them.