anyone else seeing very long AS paths?

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Tue Feb 17 16:10:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	Or until people who are still running multi-year old cisco code
> actually upgrade?  This seems to primarily impact:
>
> 	1) Old cisco code
> 	2) PC based bgp daemons
>
> 	Both of which likely just need to be upgraded.  I actually suspect
> that a lot of people who dropped their bgp sessions did not notice something
> happened, and still will not upgrade their code.  I searched the archives, some
> variations of this have happened since 2001.  There's been a few PSIRT and
> other issues since then, I suspect these people don't even know they have a
> bgp speaking device anymore.

While at it - perhaps others wish to join this bugid so as to enhance IOS:
CSCso47162 Bug Details

BGP-6-ASPATH message should print offending prefix(es)
None
Symptoms
Syslog message below doesn't print info about offending prefix(es)

%BGP-6-ASPATH: Invalid AS path [chars] received from [int]: [chars]

Further Problem Description
Examples of such a message :

%BGP-6-ASPATH: Long AS path 64501 64501 65000 65000 received from x.x.x.x:
Morethan configured MAXAS-LIMIT

%BGP-6-ASPATH: Invalid AS path (64721) 64700 64720 65400 65231 received
from x.x.x.x: Non confederation peer

I opened it in March 2008 and the more people who bug Cisco to implement
this sev 6 request - the better off we will all be in the future.

-Hank