Global Blackhole Service

Tico tico-nanog at raapid.net
Fri Feb 13 17:29:06 UTC 2009

Jens,

I would be interested in participating with a destination blackhole
service, so long as peers were authenticated and only authorized to
advertise /32s out of space that they are assigned -- hopefully the same
OrgID is used for the ASN as the IP allocations.

However, a blackhole service based on sources would be out of the
question altogether in my book, unless paired with a number of third
parties that could vet the "badness" of those source IPs, as is done
with spam zombies. Even then I'd be very nervous about it from a "causes
more [potential] problems than it fixes" standpoint, no matter how cool
it would be to defang a DDoS.

As for the memory requirements / "oh no! too many routes!" issue, that
would be a non-issue for me.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you're serious about starting this
project. I think that it would be worth it to talk to the Team Cymru
guys to see if they'd be interested in this.

-Tico