Network diagram software

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Feb 11 18:13:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:11:38PM +0100, Mathias Wolkert wrote:
[...]
> I like the idea of having one physical version showing cables and devices
> (CDP/EDP/LLDP view pretty much) and one logical view showing IP subnets.
> Many times I found *documented* networks where this is all combined making
> it very unclear.
> The hard part is to visually show what VLANs are active in each switch.
>
> Thoughts?

You're hitting the nail on the head.  Most people worry about the *tool*
being used, and neglect the information.

Most networks need at least two diagrams:
  - a logical map showing network boundaries/collision domains/etc.
    (This is where VLANs get documented)
  - a physical map showing *how* things are connected.
    (This is where equipment and their interconnects are documented)

Once you get that into your head, the best tool is the one that most
people can use.  I've been using PowerPoint for a couple of years and
haven't run into anyone that says, "I can't read that."