97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Sun Feb 8 21:45:51 UTC 2009

On 2/8/09 5:32 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> Lastly, you've assumed that only a "smart phone" (not that the term
> is well defined) needs an IP address.  I believe this is wrong.
> There are plenty of simpler phones (e.g. not a PDA, touch screen,
> read your e-mail thing) that can use cellular data to WEP browse,
> or to fetch things like ring tones.  They use an IP on the network.

The term is ill defined, but the general connotation is that they will
be supplanting dumb phones.  So say what you will,phones with IP
addresses is likely to increase as a percentage of the installed base.
The only thing offsetting that is the indication that the U.S. is
saturating on total # of cell phones, which is what that article says.

Moving on...

Eliot