Seeking FIOS tech support with two (or more) brain cells

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Feb 8 20:06:44 UTC 2009

A big thank-you to everyone who replied, called, sent kind words and
shared frustration.  Clearly I'm not alone here (even had frustration
shared by people who actually work in a different business unit of
Verizon), and it would be nice if the folks at VZ would take some
steps to fix these apparently-endemic problems but so far no joy.
Eventually I got called back by someone who, after listening to what I
want to do, said "I know...  we can turn off the MOCA and turn on the
Ethernet right on your ONT, bypassing the firewall completely.  Would
that accomplish what you want to do?"

I said yes, and we're now sailing happily along.  No word yet on
whether this burns our ability to get FIOS TV or not.

Also, sadly, no way to repeat it other than the old "escalate,
escalate, escalate" dance.  I'm still not clear on how this was
supposed to be a "business" service if you weren't intended to hang
your own CPE on it.

-r