97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 09:32:51 UTC 2009

>> I have trouble understanding why an ARIN record for a network regularly
>> receiving new, out-sized IPv4 allocations on the order of millions of
>> OrgName:    Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
>> CIDR:       97.128.0.0/9
>> Comment:    Verizon Wireless currently has 44.3 Million
>> Comment:    subscribers with 2.097 Million IP addresses allocated.
>> RegDate:    2008-04-14

If they have immediately allocated  2.097 million out of 8.388
million,  then they
have satisfied the 25% immediate utilization requirement.

In fact, 2.097 million is exactly how many they would need immediate
use for in order to justify an allocation of 8 million IPs according
to ARIN policy.

I expect the 2.097 million figure applies only to this particular
range, this comment in whois does
not indicate that Verizon has _only_  assigned that many across all
its various ranges;  I would fully expect they have massively more
IPs in use.

I would expect ARIN would have followed policy, and so Verizon had to
show to ARIN their well-founded
projection  that within one year, at least 50% of the new assignment
would be allocated.

And also that they met the additional requirements for ISPs;  80%
utilization over all previous
allocations, and also 80% of their most recent allocation.

--
-Jimmy