v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Feb 7 15:36:14 UTC 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 2:09 AM, Nathan Ward wrote:
> On 6/02/2009, at 12:00 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:
>> This assignment policy is NOT enough for every particle of sand on
>> earth, which is what I thought we were getting.
>

> There is enough for 3616 /64s, or 14 /56s per square centimetre of
> the earth's surface, modulo whatever we have set aside for multicast
> and non globally scoped unicast addresses and so on.
>
> If we pretend that hosts are only going to be on the area that is
> land, that gives us 12385 /64s, or 48 /56s per square centimetre.
>
> My suspicion is that before we get to a place where we have 48
> humans per sq cm of land, we will run out of food.

This has nothing to do with the number of blocks per area.  Nice
marketing, not useful for reality.  How many IP-connected devices do
you have on your person right now?  How many non-IP-connected devices
(e.g. bluetooth) that may someday be IP-connected?  And how many more
will we have?  If you think you can answer the last one, you are lying
to yourself.

We will find a way to waste & fritter away thing.  We always have, we
always will.

In the mean time, we'll do the best with what we have.

--
TTFN,
patrick