v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Sat Feb 7 07:09:17 UTC 2009

On 6/02/2009, at 12:00 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:
> This assignment policy is NOT enough for every particle of sand on
> earth, which is what I thought we were getting.

There is enough for 3616 /64s, or 14 /56s per square centimetre of the
earth's surface, modulo whatever we have set aside for multicast and
non globally scoped unicast addresses and so on.

If we pretend that hosts are only going to be on the area that is
land, that gives us 12385 /64s, or 48 /56s per square centimetre.

My suspicion is that before we get to a place where we have 48 humans
per sq cm of land, we will run out of food.

--
Nathan Ward