v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Feb 6 17:59:33 UTC 2009

I think this part of the thread is in danger of leaving the realm of
operational relevance, so I will treat these as my closing arguments.

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:48:53PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> It makes more sense to look at it like this. In the 1990s we had:

No, I think that "shopping checklist view" is exactly the kind of
wrong thinking that stunts the dialogue between tools and needs, and
has been a cause in IPv6's current disconnect in operational reality.

So no, I don't think it makes any sense to look at it like that.  It
makes the most sense to look at the IPv4 configuration protocols alone
as a progression of tools, each built upon what was learned from the
prior, and the conclusions that were determined to work best for most
of the Internet's operators (neither Appletalk's nor IPX's).

These conclusions were proper supersets of previously determined
operational needs, and so became a pervasively deployed universal
solution.  This is a functioning model for tool growth.

Shopping checklists only create Frankenstein monsters, stunted
half-breeds that serve only their creators.

> RIP is a routing protocol, not an address configuration protocol.

This is a statement whose context predicates that you think I don't
know that, which further confers that my intended message has been
lost on you.  This is far afield from the point!

I am predisposed not to correct this, as the message was not intended
for you, I hope this is mutually agreeable.  :)

> asking for security problems. Also, whenever you want to put something new
> in DHCP you must update the client and server SOFTWARE. Because on the

This actually is not true, which I have told you before.

But I have to admit it is a nice contrived false factoid that supports
your a-priori conclusions.  My analysis of your further arguments is
that you have selected a proper subset of actual Internet operational
needs in order to further justify these same conclusions.

I will leave it at that. :)