[Update] Re: New ISP to market, BCP 38, and new tactics

Brad Fleming bdfleming at kanren.net
Fri Feb 6 16:20:21 UTC 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:52 AM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kumari-blackhole-urpf-02

If I understand this correctly, there will be a route entered on each
edge router for all sources that are participating in a DDoS attack.
Is anyone worried about TCAM usage if one of their customers gets hit
with a larger DDoS attack? Add in our IPv6 and V4 multicast tables
chewing up more TCAM space and things get even more dicy!

For my part, I'd be worried if the overall IPv4 unicast route table
got much larger than ~1million entries because our hardware-based
routers might run out of TCAM and bring the whole network to a
screeching halt.