v6 & DSL / Cable modems

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Fri Feb 6 15:02:42 UTC 2009

Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com> wrote on 02/06/2009 09:28:02 AM:

> Given that ARIN at least is assigning end-user /48s out of 2620::/23
> it would be useful to accept these announcements. If not end-user PI
> is dead in the water. Some providers might like that. End-users
> probably won't.

That range alone is 25 bits of routing, equivalent to routing all the way
down to /25s in the IPv4 world. But I don't see how you could route some
/48s without having software to route all /48s and that is hugemongous.
And then times 4 for 128 bits. But, I'm not a routing engine guy, so I'm
probably missing something ...

Joe