v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Matthew Kaufman matthew at eeph.com
Fri Feb 6 06:50:20 UTC 2009

Mark Andrews wrote:
> 	WII's should be able to be directly connected to the network
> 	without any firewall.  If they can't be then they are broken.

As I'm sure you know, you can tell the difference between an Internet
evangelist and someone who mans the support lines by how they feel about
"X should be able to be directly connected to the network without any
firewall".

"...then they are broken" applied to 4.3 BSD-running VAXen and Sun 3's
in 1988, and neither the frequency of attacks launched nor the number of
exploitable bugs in network stacks or network-packet-ingesting
application programs has gone down since then.

Matthew Kaufman