v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Fri Feb 6 02:59:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Ricky Beam wrote:
> telling me I need 18 billion, billion addresses to cover 2 laptops, a Wii, 3
> tivos, a router, and an access point?

You have more computing power in your house than the Fortune 500 did 40
years ago to manage their entire billing, payroll etc.

They had thousands of people and paid millions of dollars per year just to
make sure that scarce resource was not wasted.

You use it for watching TV shows and browsing the web a few hours per day.

As others have pointed out giving every person on the planet a /56 and
every business a /48 is only going to take up 0.01% of the total IP space.

Allocating 0.01% of space to an "experiment in abundance" which will
probably turn out to be enough space than will ever be needed this century
seems a good risk to me.

Sure we could have allocated just 0.00001% of space to the experiment
instead but then plug-and-play might not work out of the box or people
would have to apply and pay for larger network spaces or I'd only get one
network in my house ( and never get my SIP phone to work cause of NAT ).

You may find this article interesting ( especially the first page ):

"The sysadmin’s mantra: Manage time, think ‘abundance’ and softly does it"
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/272429/sysadmin_mantra_manage_time_think_abundance_softly_does_it

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.