v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Feb 5 23:32:56 UTC 2009

In message <op.uoweo8dxtfhldh at rbeam.xactional.com>, "Ricky Beam" writes:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:25:44 -0500, Iljitsch van Beijnum
> <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:
> > On 5 feb 2009, at 1:16, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> >> I guess I was thinking about v4 modems which do not get a subnet, just
> >> an IP address.  If we really are handing out a /64 to each DSL & Cable
> >> modem, then we may very well be recreating the same problem.
> >
> > IPv4 thinking.
> >
> > A single /64 isn't enough for a home user, because their gateway is a
> > router and needs a different prefix at both sides. Users may also want
> > to subnet their own network. So they need at least something like a /60.
>
> This is not a "maybe", Mr. Gilmore.  It's repeating the same mistakes of
> IPv4.
>
> Mr. van B, your comments would be laughable if they weren't so absurdly
> horrific.  I've lived quite productively behind a single IPv4 address for
> nearly 15 years.  I've run 1000 user networks that only used one IPv4
> address for all of them.

	Good for you.  You don't need what NAT breaks.

	The rest of us are sick and tired of a artificially crippled
	network that NAT brings and all the additional costs
	associated with trying to talk with someone behind a NAT.

> I have 2 private /24's using a single public
> IPv4 address right now -- as they have been for 6+ years.  Yet, in the new
> order, you're telling me I need 18 billion, billion addresses to cover 2
> laptops, a Wii, 3 tivos, a router, and an access point?  Did we suddenly
> jump 20 years into the past?  This is the exact same bull**** as the /8
> allocations in the early days of IPv4.  The idea of the "connected home"
> is still nowhere near *that* connected; no matter how many toys you have
> in your bathroom, it doesn't need a /96 of it's own. (which is an entire
> IPv4 of it's own.)

	No it doesn't need that many address.  No one has ever said
	that it does.

	Does it really matter that 64 bits are set aside for the local
	part of the IPv6 address as long as there is enough address space
	for everyone to get the networks they need?

	By your own admission it does need multiple networks however.
	The address allocation policies are design to give everyone the
	networks that they need.

> Why do people avoid and resist IPv6... because it was designed with blind
> ignorance of the history of IPv4's mistakes (and how we *all* run our IPv4
> networks.)  Dooming us to repeating ALL those mistakes again.  Exhibit A:
> With IPv6 Address Autoconfiguration (tm) (patent pending), you don't need
> DHCP. *face plant*

	So all of us running IPv6 networks using stateless autoconf
	are using something that does not work?

	BTW stateless autoconf and DHCP are complementry technologies.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org