v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Feb 5 23:00:48 UTC 2009

Joe Abley wrote:

> Note that I am not denying the faint aroma of defecation in the air, nor
> the ghost of address assignment policies past.

Maybe because by sheer coincidence 2**32 /32 is exactly the same as ipv4
2**32 /32?

Maybe because by sheer coincidence 2**48 /48 is exactly the same as ipv4
2**(32 network bits + 16 tcp/udp port bits = 48)?

Maybe because 2**32 /32's is less than the current world population?

One thing is for certain.

This assignment policy is NOT enough for every particle of sand on
earth, which is what I thought we were getting.