v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Feb 5 22:18:15 UTC 2009

On 5-Feb-2009, at 13:44, Ricky Beam wrote:

> This is the exact same bull**** as the /8 allocations in the early
> days of IPv4.

There are only 256 /8s in IPv4.

There are 72,057,594,037,927,936 /56s in IPv6. If you object to where
you think this is going, then perhaps it's more palatable to consider
the 4,294,967,296 /32s in IPv6.

[Feel free to adjust the ratios by orders of magnitude to accommodate
the details that I am blandly ignoring above. It's doesn't change the
message.]

So in fact it's not *exactly* the same.

Note that I am not denying the faint aroma of defecation in the air,
nor the ghost of address assignment policies past. Also, your
excitement is strangely invigorating.

> [...]
>
> Exhibit A: With IPv6 Address Autoconfiguration (tm) (patent
> pending), you don't need DHCP. *face plant*  The IPv4 mistake you've
> NOT learned from here is "rarp".  DCHP does far more than tell a
> host was address it should use. (yes, I've called for the IPng WG
> member's execution, reanimation, and re-execution, several times.)

You might like to review the DHCPv6 specification and try some of its
implementations.

There are surely simpler approaches for host configuration than the
current mess, and it's surely true that the design process reached
some odd conclusions on occasion, but the fact remains that the tools
and protocols needed to get the job done in this regard do actually
exist. It's certainly an option today to build and deploy rather than
to bicker and complain.

Joe