v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)] (IPv6-MW)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Feb 5 01:51:10 UTC 2009

In message <f1dedf9c0902041735x4a9cb6f9nc5b5bbf1201a240e at mail.gmail.com>, Scott
 Howard writes:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net>wrote:
>
> > I guess I was thinking about v4 modems which do not get a subnet, just an
> > IP address.  If we really are handing out a /64 to each DSL & Cable modem,
> > then we may very well be recreating the same problem.
>

> v4 just gets a single IP address, which is why we need NAT, and apparently
> NAT is evil.
>
> To some extent the /64 can be though of as "just an IP" from the ISP
> perspective (in the same sense that an IPv4 IP is just a /32 "network"),
> which has the ability for the CPE to then somehow split it out between
> multiple hosts - probably using autoconfig (in the same way with IPv4 it's
> "split up" by the port with NAT).

	You hand out multiple /64's.  As many as the client requests
	up to a /56 or /48 depending apon which break point you
	choose.

	The address space is assigned to ISP's on the presumption
	that you will be handing out the equivalent of /56's or /48's
	worth of address space to each customer.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org