[Update] Re: New ISP to market, BCP 38, and new tactics

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 01:24:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
> What I was hoping for (even though I'm testing something that I know
> won't work) is that I can break something so I could push v4 traffic
> over a v6-only core.
>
> Is there _any_ way to do this (other than NAT/tunnel etc)?

If you can push v4 over it (other than through a NAT/tunnel/etc.),
then it's not a v6-only core :-)

The real question is whether you're going to route natively in v4,
or do a v4-in-v6 tunnel of some sort,
or a v4-in-Layer2-in-v6 tunnel of some sort,
or do NAT,
or use MPLS as a Layer 2ish core.
If you're doing MPLS, you'll need to figure out if you can run _it_
with purely v6 gear supporting it, or whether you'll need to run v4 to
make all of your MPLS vendors happy, but that doesn't need to be
publicly routable v4 carrying the entire Internet's routing tables on
it; you can leave the Internet inside a large MPLS VPN if you want.

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.