Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Wed Feb 4 00:57:36 UTC 2009

OK.

Following myself up, and referencing a link someone else gave me in regards
to IPv6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Has the entry:

Private use of other reserved addresses

Several other address ranges, in addition to the official private ranges,
are reserved for other or future uses, including 1.0.0.0/8 and 2.0.0.0/8[1].
In recent years, large companies have begun to use this address space
internally. Though discouraged, it appears to have become an accepted
practice among larger companies to use these reserved address spaces when
connecting two private networks, to eliminate the chance of address
conflicts when using standards-based private ranges.

---

Now I'm not using this as justification.... just interesting to see people
have put it up there, and comment that a lot of large companies are using
1/8 and 2/8 for private networking.

...Skeeve