Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 3 23:25:03 UTC 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Owned by an ISP?  It isn't much different than it is now.
>
> As long as you are multi-homed you can get a small allocation (/48),
> APNIC and ARIN have procedures for this.

To clarify, you can get whatever size assignment you need, but, the
default
unless you request larger and can justify it is a /48.  To put this in
perspective,
a /48 is 65536*4billion*the total IPv4 address space.  Further, it's
enough space
for 65,536 subnets with 64 bit host addresses.  Likely, this is enough
for most
end-user organizations, but, if you are part of an organization that
needs more,
you can get it simply by justifying your additional needs.

> Yes, you have to pay for it, but the addresses will be yours, unlike
> the RFC1918 ranges which is akin to 2.4Ghz wireless.. lets just
> share and hope we never interconnect/overlap.

In the ARIN region, the end-user annual fees are quite low.  I don't
see this as
a significant barrier to entry to most end-user organizations.

> I can't find a RFC1918 equivalent for v6 with the exception of
> 2001:0DB8::/32# which is the ranges that has been assigned for
> documentation use and is considered to NEVER be routable.  In that /
> 32 are 65536 /48's... way more than the RFC1918 we have now.

There is the ULA-Random space, but, I'm not sure if that got ratified
or was
rescinded.  I really don't see a need for RFC-1918 in
the IPv6 world.  RFC-1918 was intended to solve a problem with a
shortage
of address space by allowing disparate private networks to recycle the
same
numbers behind NAT or for use on non-connected networks.  There is no
such shortage in IPv6. I think it is wiser to number non-connected
IPv6 networks
from valid unique addresses since there is no shortage.

> If I was going to build a v6 network right now, that was purely
> private and never* going to hit the internet, and I could not afford
> to be a NIC member or pay the fees... then I would be using the
> ranges above.... I wonder if that will start a flame war *puts on
> fire suit*.

I don't know what the APNIC fees and membership requirements are.
However, in the ARIN region, you do not need to be a member to get
address space.  The renewal fee for end-user space is $100/year.
If you can't afford $100/year, how are you staying connected to the
network or paying to power your equipment?

Owen