Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Heather Schiller heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Feb 3 23:00:51 UTC 2009

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> Except the RIRs won't give you another /48 when you have only used one
>> trillion IP addresses.

Keyword: *Another*

> Are you sure?  According to ARIN staff, current implementation of policy
> is that all requests are approved since there are no defined criteria
> that would allow them to deny any.  So far, nobody's shown interest in
> plugging that hole in the policy because it'd be a major step forward if
> IPv6 were popular enough for anyone to bother wasting it...

I believe Stephen is thinking of initial allocation policy - because a
subsequent allocation policy in the ARIN region exists:  (and it's been
modified atleast once in the last few years)

  Justification to obtain another netblock is .94 HD-Ratio in the
current allocation

Endusers (minimum allocation is a /48)
  For a /48 that's about 72% utilization or 184 /56's assigned/used

ISP's (minimum allocation is a /32)
  For a /32 that's about 37% utilization or 6,183,533 /56's assigned

ARIN provides a handy chart:

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six7