Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Mon Feb 2 19:01:30 UTC 2009

I see 2 problems off the top of my head with using public IP blocks for
private networks.

1) You're not going to be able to reach servers/services/etc that
actually have allocated those IP blocks. (May or may not affect you, but
that's your issue to deal with in the future).
2) (and more important) It really makes it easy to 'accidentally'
announce that public IP block out in the future, unless you have proper
announce filters in place (And if something as basic as subnetting isn't
done properly, I doubt route filtering is either). This one not only
affects you, but affects the netblock that gets mistakenly announced
out.

RFC1918 space was designed to prevent these issues.

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare
(303) 467-4671